This mixed media art piece was inspired by Melody Ross‘ lesson near the beginning of Life Book 2016. The task was to celebrate all of the wisdom you have accumulated throughout your life through the good times and the bad. I strayed quite a bit from the steps of the lesson, but it was a beautiful exercise in realizing what I have come to learn is most important in life, and what matters to me.
The steps for this piece closely follow the Happy Traveler artwork: Layers of collage, paint, Neocolor II crayons, gesso. The sketched girl is colored with Neocolor II as well (Salmon, Flesh, various browns and pinks for the hair), Kuretake Zig Real Brush Pens for the hair and eyes, and colored pencils for additional shading.
I hunted through an old thrift store dictionary for the words that spoke to me:
- Relax (My word of the year!)
- And on the box itself: Wisdom and Wish
Finally, I had a sudden impulse to draw in floating glowing lanterns to surround my girl with these beautiful concepts. 🙂
I am still very new to portraits, but she seems sweet enough for me! I do need to work on my values/contrast though (an exercise in that will be posted here soon!)
Take a moment today and think about the wisdom you have gathered throughout your life. Even through hard times, we come out on the other side understanding a little better what is meaningful to us, and how we can surround ourselves with more positivity and happiness. <3
Thank you for sharing a moment of your day with me. I hope you stop by again soon! Remember to subscribe here or at my Facebook page to see new art. 🙂 *waves*
- Fabriano Studio Hot Press 11 x 14 Watercolor Paper
- Caran d'Ache Classic Neocolor II Water-Soluble Pastels
- Kuretake Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pen (Watercolor brush markers)
- Liquitex Professional Matte Medium
- Posca Paint Pens (White & Black)
- Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencil
- Liquitex Professional White Gesso
- Dictionary pages, scrapbooking paper
DISCLAIMER: Affiliate links are used where possible. Thank you for your support!